Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Mole


You’re thinking of the animal, right?
So wrong!
It’s a chemical thing!
Today is celebrated between
6:02 am and 6:02 pm.
So, what are we looking at today??
Avogadro’s Number!
Woohoo, I hear you screaming!
But, what is Avogadro’s Number?
I’m glad you asked!
(6.02 x 10^23) 
Clear now?
So, if you are like me…
you’ve got even less understanding
and you wish I was writing about
 the dirt-burrowing mole!
Let’s stick with this for a minute…
Avogadro’s Number is a basic
measuring unit in chemistry.
Today encourages people to develop
 and embrace their love of
 chemistry and Avogadro’s Number
 is used as the point of focus.
Here’s something to make me seem smart: 

For a given molecule, one mole is a mass (in grams) whose number is equal to the atomic mass of the molecule. For example, the water molecule has an atomic mass of 18, therefore one mole of water weighs 18 grams. In general, one mole of any substance contains Avogadro's Number of molecules or atoms of that substance.

This relationship was first discovered by Amadeo Avogadro (1776-1858) and he received credit for this after his death.

And I stole that information from

http://www.moleday.org/

Something cool…

today is the 23/10 in Australia.

In America it’s the 10/23 –

or ten to the power of 23…

Go check Avogadro’s number again!  

(I still wish I’d blogged about the animal!)


 

No comments: