Monday, October 1, 2012

Lamb Stew - Hold the Lamb

 
Happy October 
 the months are flying by!
Today is a World Day.
World always stands out,
punching me in the face –
 making me realise
the importance of the day.
World Days are,
therefore, difficult to ignore!
Today’s World Day is…
World Vegetarian Day!

 
 
 
I have lived in countries,
where meat is stored carefully
 on hot cement blocks…
where meat is protected from flies
 by an occasional flick of a hand…
or, more elaborative,
the slowly rotating, man-made device,
which is hung above the meat
 and drips plastic bags…
scaring the flies away.
I’ve walked past bowls of fish,
eels and crabs, slowly flicking
 in shallow water…
and yet, my stomach
coped with every meal…
Well…there was that one time…
In an Irish Pub in Bangkok.
I was having Irish stew –
as you do…
Lamb, it was.
There were huge chunks of tender lamb,
filling my bowl of stew.
It was good.
And then, it happened.
I pictured a buffalo –
something I saw every day
 when I lived in the North East of Thailand.
The buffalo tends to have a huge,
 round stomach.
I pictured someone with a huge knife,
slicing the side of a buffalo a
nd turning the flesh
into chunks of meat for my stew.
Right then and there,
my stew lost all appeal.
That was years ago…
and, don’t get me wrong –
I eat meat.
 I do.
But, sometimes, every now and again…
I picture the animal I am eating…
Not the "cute little lamb",
but the knife - chunking the flesh… 
I lose my appetite a little.
 
Once, a young boy came to me
and told me he had cut
 his leg on a seat.
“Show me”, I said…
and watched him twist his knee
 to show me a small hole in the skin.
Something yellow was poking out –
Muscle? Sinew? Fat? 
There was no blood.
It seemed ok…
and then, it happened.
The blood started.
It didn’t trickle…
it didn’t dribble…
It pumped.
Squirt.
Squirt.
Squirt.
 It was the smell that got to me.
Bloody flesh.
The smell lingered in my nostrils
 for some time. I
t’s a butcher shop smell.
It’s not a good smell for me.
So, today is World Vegetarian Day.
The site has facts and figures…
forests and bushland turned into crops
to feed the animals we will later eat…
overgrazing and the damage it does…
animals and plants becoming endangered
through habitat loss…
water costs of animal rearing…
increased carbon monoxide…
All that aside,
the thing that pushes me
towards my vegetarian diet
 is my imagination!
 Some information from
the North American Vegetarian Society’s
 

No comments: