Saturday, October 20, 2012

Jump!



I was so wrong about what
 today was celebrating.
I was thinking bridges…
history…
dry facts and boring stories…

is a steel arch bridge.
It is 924m long.
It has a 518m long arch. )
but, no. Bridge Day is less about
the bridge and more about the people
 jumping from the bridge!
BASE jumpers!
Base stands for Building, Antenna,
Span and Earth and BASE jumpers
will leap off any of these four things,
 using specially designed –
fast deployment parachutes.
 On Bridge Day,
base jumpers get together
and throw themselves
off the New River Gorge Bridge!
(West Virginia, USA)
This is the only day of the year
they can legally do this.
The bridge is 267metres high
 and about 400 base jumpers
are expected to join the fun.
The four lane bridge will be closed
 to traffic and pedestrians will take
 over for the day.
I was about to plan
my base jumping debut,
when I learned three people have died
 after jumping from the bridge…
I think I’ll hold off,
for a while.

  Picture

No comments: