Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Sanity - Where For Art Thou?


I don’t know what
special day it is today
and frankly, I don’t care. 
 I go to work each day
and face thirty little faces.
  Most of the faces wear a smile. 
 Some of the faces
look a little empty of thoughts
and some of the faces
rarely look my way –
and I have to admit,
there are far more
interesting things than me… 
Who can really blame them? 
 Sometimes though,
I get snarled at…
glared at… 
I’m called names
and fists get clenched
 and pushed towards me.
  For a while, tables and chairs
 were overturned,
but I sat on one table –
which was at high risk
of being overturned,
and my eyes spoke words
 I couldn’t say, so…
furniture throwing seems
 to have stopped. 
I’m teaching in a demountable
 at the moment…
fancy, I know!
  The worst thing about
the demountable is the noise…
 there are several places
where the floor creaks and farts –
 so funny!
Any little noise is magnified
 in a demountable…
so, rubber balls being repeatedly
 bounced against the walls
can become noisy and distracting…
 And no, it’s not me
doing the bouncing of the balls
 (Though I am the one
clicking the pen lid!)
Fists and feet thumping
 against the floor
make a lot of noise…
Growls and hisses
finish our little musical act. 
So, when these things happen
(regularly!),
I am very impressed
with 29 little faces
determined to help me…
 29 little faces try their very,
 very best to concentrate
on their work. 
They quietly stand up
and move across the room
whenever they feel threatened…
 they over-compensate
for the inappropriate behaviours…
 and for that,
I thank each and every one
 of those 29 little faces. 
I thank them,
because they choose me…
 they choose learning. 
I’ve never worked so hard.
 So, I’m not too sure
what day it is today…

Here's some of our work: 


 The kids are in year 3. 

 Their ages range from 8 to 10.



 Continuous Line drawings...


 Sometimes, you just have
to stop and
"smell the roses".



No comments: