Sunday, May 6, 2012

Buddha Day

It’s Buddha Day today. 
I wondered
what to write about… 
After living in a
Buddhist country
for three years,
I understand a little
about Buddhism and Buddha…
 But, I’m not going
to get bogged down
in religious facts
 and historical data. 
 Instead, I’m taking you to
Phimai, in the
north-east of Thailand. 


I first went to the
Phimai temple a long,
long, long, long time ago
– in 1991. 


I was with my Thai family
and casually strolled
the historical grounds,
 wondering at the thousand odd
 year old buildings
and gazing over the
picturesque location
(under a blazing sun and
 covered in several
sticky layers of sweat!)


Ever since,
these ruins have remained
some of my favourites. 
 I have been back
to wander the old
“halls” several times.   


It seems to have been
built in the 11th or 12th century…
(what’s a hundred years, anyway?!)
  It pre-dates the Angkor temples.
It is built in the style
of the ancient Khmer temples.
Happy Buddha Day
*Also –
today is NO Diet Day…
feel free to have another brownie…
Cheese… sure! 
That extra pie – no worries! 
Another wine? Go for it!  T
im Tams?  Why not! 
Enjoy!!

Photos from here and here.

No comments: