Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Bucket

There was this bloke, Henry
and he wasn’t too bright. 
His girlfriend, Liza
yelled out to him:
Henry! Fetch me some water!
And Henry, in a bit of a
 whiney voice, answered:
There’s a hole in my bucket
dear Liza, dear Liza
There’s a hole in my bucket
dear Liza, a hole.
Well, Liza wanted that water! 
She said: Well, fix it
dear Henry, dear Henry,
dear Henry,
Well, fix it dear Henry,
dear Henry, fix it.
Henry was hopeless…
With what shall I fix it …
he asked.
I don’t think Liza was
really thinking
when she answered:
With a straw dear Henry …
And so goes the song

The straw is too long …
Well, cut it dear Henry …
With what shall I cut it …
With an axe dear Henry …
The axe is too dull dear Liza …
Well, sharpen it dear Henry …
With what shall I sharpen it …
With a stone dear Henry …
The stone is too dry dear Liza …
Well, wet it dear Henry …
With what shall I wet it …
With water dear Henry …
In what shall I fetch it …
In a bucket dear Henry …
There’s a hole in my bucket,
dear Liza …
When you actually stop
to look at the words,
the song really does seem
to be ridiculous…
Almost as ridiculous as
the Cow celebrating
My Bucket’s Got
A Hole In It Day!
Photo from here.

No comments: