Thursday, May 24, 2012

Geek Enough For a Drink?

 I have a
sleek little ultrabook laptop
and a smartphone
and an ipad,
which gets whipped out
and flashed around
(not so much!)
at staff meetings. 
 I help teachers out
with computer stuff…
I think this makes me
very right to celebrate
“Geek Pride Day”. 
But then,
before I get too excited,
I notice it is also… 


Wine Day
 Hold the phone! 
 Wine Day!
Forget Geek Whatever day
 I’m all in for Wine Day! 
Woohoo!  


Better get some cool facts
or something before I get
 into the sipping…
Ok, It’s an American Day
– but I’ve been to America,
 so I can celebrate, too! 
 I am extremely pleased
that I was not born
as an Early Roman Woman…
they were forbidden
from drinking wine. 
If their husband
found them drinking wine,
they were at liberty
to kill her! 
 The last recorded divorce,
on the grounds of a
wife drinking wine,
occurred in Rome in 194BC.
  (Bit rough!)
Again, luckily I escaped
life as an Ancient Roman…
in an attempt to preserve wine,
they added lead –
which also gave the
wine a sweet taste. 
Not surprisingly,
lead poisoning
killed the drinkers…
apparently, this is one
of the causes
of the decline of Rome!
Even knowing that women
 now drink wine
without running the risk
of divorce or death,
it is surprising to learn that
 wine grapes are the most common
 fruit crop grown in the world.
 Before you take your first sip
 of wine…
think about this:
 Wine was often transported
 in “wineskins”. 
So? 
Well, Pigs would be skinned…
the skin would be cleaned,
tanned and turned inside out
 and the wine
would be poured in!
  (The wine was in contact
 with the hairy side
 of the skin.) 
Even worse –
and it’s the Ancient Romans again!
  They decided to season
their wine with fish sauce,
 garlic and onion root!
(and don’t forget the lead!) 


Finally, I am very glad
that I do not suffer
from oenophobia
(an intense fear
or hatred of wine)!

It's Wine Day...
Cheers!
(For more reasons
to drink, check out
 an earlier post I wrote.)
Find out more on this page.
Photos from a local winery.

1 comment:

Snofrid said...

Did you really have to mention the pig skin.... now all Im going to picture is hair floating in the glass... Maybe Ill just drink straight from the bottle!