Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Premmie Day

Premmie Day!
Wear green! 
Spend a few dollars
and buy green wristbands. 
The money raised will be used
to help charities
helping support Aussie babies.  


 Each year, about 45 000
Aussie babies spend time
in a neonatal intensive care unit.
  A premature baby – or a premmie,
is born before 37 weeks gestation.
  In Australia, about 8%
of babies are born prematurely. 
About 15% of babies need the help
 of an intensive care unit. 
Not surprisingly,
facts and figures don’t cut it
 when it comes to tiny, tiny babies...
tied down to beeping machines,
with tubes stuck down
their small nostrils and tiny mouths...
 wrinkled skin scrunched tight
with sticky tape
and a huge plastic cage
keeping everyone out... 
babies struggling every day...
 every hour...
every minute. 


I remember looking
with longing at the room
where the bigger, healthier babies
could be held freely
by their families... 
I remember watching the time
 and marking off
another day of life... 
 I remember dumplings! 
 And baklava! 
I remember the smell
of the hand sanitiser
and the feel of a tiny hand.
  I remember the first cuddle
– a sneaky cuddle
when the nurse wasn’t looking. 
I remember the songs –
so important back then
“I’m coming home”
and “Been a long time”. 
 I remember the days
when the news was bad
and the days when we could
 enjoy a little celebration.


And now... he’s home. 
 He’s gorgeous. 
 He’s a battler
and his life will be tough,
but he will teach us so many things
 as we trample through
 this life together.
Premmie Day
may once have slipped by
without my noticing it...
but we’re Premmie Families now. 
Wear green for the Premmies.
  Premmie Webpages: 
Photos from my sister’s webpage

"From little things,
big things grow."

No comments: