Friday, April 27, 2012

Dots & Dashes

Morse Code Day
Now you can
  Test yourself! 
Morse code is just
dots and dashes. 
It’s beeping noises
and I just didn’t see
how words could be understood
from the noises...



And then,
I saw a picture
and I kinda get now,
I think. 
A name which has to be
mentioned today
is Samuel Finley Breese Morse.
  You know what he did, right? 
He was born in 1791
and became a successful
oil painting artist. 
In 1835, he built the
first American telegraph –
which was also being
developed in Europe. 
What’s a telegraph? 
Simply, it sends
 messages through wires. 
 By 1837, Morse’s working
telegraph machine was patented. 


Originally, Morse used
a dots and spaces code,
but this was later changed
 to the dots, dashes
 and spaces code
we “know” now. 
In 1838, Morse could
send 10 words a minute,
using morse code. 
On May 24th, 1844
Morse sent the first
telegraphic message
from Washington DC
to Baltimore. 
I imagined morse code
was really difficult....
but it’s not, really
(I would hate
to risk my life
on my ability to use it, though!)
  Go test your own skills!

Photos from here and here.
Information from here.

No comments: