Monday, September 17, 2012

Turning Apples

 
Apple Dumpling Day
Really?
Apple dumplings get a day?
Fair enough…
another crazy day to celebrate…
and I do love
the smell of cooking apples!
I couldn’t find any facts
on this tasty day,
which is hardly surprising.
 
 The cynic in me would wonder
 which group started this day –
the apple growers
or the pastry sellers…
The dessert lover in me
 doesn’t care! 
The British had recipes
for apple dumplings
way back in the 1600’s.
All you have to do today
 is grab a cored apple…
 fill it with butter,
sugar and cinnamon…
wrap it in dough
and bake it in syrup!
 I’d be adding some ice cream
 and can find no argument
 against the tradition
of dribbling rum or vanilla
 over the top. 
 
 (If you can’t beat the crazy days,
 you might as well join ‘em!)
 

No comments: