Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Arrrr

Would you believe me…
this is the 10th year
people have spoken like pirates
 on the 19th of September!
 
This seems like another crazy idea,
but… I worked with a man
who celebrated this day
with great enthusiasm.
He “Arr-ed!” me all day
(each 19th of September)
and I could never get
a complete, non-pirate-speak
sentence out of him.
That’s pretty impressive,
when you think about it.
 Because of him,
because of those “Arr, me hearties!”
 I have to celebrate this day, too!
Here are some words
to help you through the day:
Ahoy Me Hearties!
Aye Aye - I'll get right on it.
Blow Me Down - Expression of shock and disbelief
Cap'n - Captain
Davy Jones' Locker - The bottom of the sea.
Dead Man's Chest - Coffin.
Dead Men Tell No Tales - Leave no survivors.
Dog - Friendly insult.
Fair Winds! - Good-bye, good luck.
Feed The Fish - What you do when you're thrown into the sea.
Heave Ho - To give it muscle and a push.
Hornswoggle - Cheat.
Lily-Livered - Coward.
Old Salt - Experienced sailor.
Pillage - Rob or plunder.
Poop Deck - Part of the ship farthest to the back, usually above Captain's quarters.
Powder Monkey - Boy in charge of bringing gunpowder to gunner.
Sea Dog - Old pirate or sailor.
Scallywag - Scoundrel or troublemaker.
Shark Bait - Anyone thrown overboard without a life jacket.
Thar - There
 
 
(If you forget the words,
curl up one side of your lip
and “Arrrr!” with all your might!)
I found a site where you can
 learn your pirate name!
I was so excited!
I quickly typed in Hairy Cow
 and waited
with intense excitement
 for a second…
And then I saw it.
My pirate name…
and I was gutted.
You want to hear it?
The Cow’s pirate name is
“Annie the Mean”…
“Arrrrrrrrrr!!”
The two men who came up with
the crazy idea of
“Speak Like a Pirate Day”
thought the idea was crazy, too.
I can only imagine John Baur
and Mark Summers sitting back
 and rolling with laughter today
– as the world celebrates
their crazy idea!
It just goes to show
– nothing is impossible!
(While I recognise there are oceans where real, armed and dangerous pirates rule the waters, today was created for a little fun… and really, who doesn’t enjoy the odd “Arrrr”?)
Pictures from here and here.
More serious stuff at my older post.
 

1 comment:

Snofrid said...

Jane the Honest!! Boring!!