Saturday, September 1, 2012

Pick Your Battles...


 

Saturdays are meant for sleep ins…
lazy, cosy, peaceful sleep ins!
So, I’m wondering why I am awake…
And why my mind woke up
at half past two. 
For a while, my body
fought for sleep…
I twisted and turned and
rolled over and over and over…
I kicked off blankets
and pulled blankets back up…
 But still, my mind was awake.

I switched on the light
and tried to tire my mind
with some intellectual activity…
 and thought I had won
as I switched the light back off
and snuggled back
into the warmth of the bed.
 But, no. 
 My mind was still awake. 
 Part of my mind was now
calculating the time
and becoming increasingly frustrated
with the other,
wide-awake part of my mind.

More tossing…
more turning…
more restless attempts
at peaceful slumber…

But, no. 
My mind is awake.
  So, I’m calling it morning
– though, at almost five o’clock,
 a load of washing on
and the computer keeping
my awake mind busy,
I’ve not yet given in
to the idea of my first
Saturday morning coffee.
(I am still ignorantly hopeful
 that I may fall into
another peaceful slumber!)
 The birds will be awake soon
– those gorgeous, brightly coloured
 Australian birds that screech their joy
 as the sun rises each day…
before the sun even rises!

Maybe, this morning…
I should go outside
and join the singing birds
as they welcome in another day… 
 
Oh, my neighbours would love me!
 

No comments: