Friday, March 16, 2012

Bullying - No Way!

The Cow has already celebrated
 a crazy day today...
Everything you do
 is Right Day. 
That means there shouldn’t
 be another post until tomorrow...
but... I’m a teacher and,
 as such, I feel a little obligation
 to blog another day
 being celebrated today...

I hope you wore orange today...
  It was Australia’s
National Day of Action
Against Bullying and Violence
(expect to see this day
become an international one!)




So, Stats:
About 27% of kids
report being bullied
(every few weeks)
during the last school term.
Bullying is most common
 among Year 5 (32%)
and Year 8 (29%) kids.
Kids who bully others online,
are very likely (83%)
to bully others offline, too.
This goes for the kids
being bullied, too...
84% of kids bullied online
also get bullied offline.
Peers stand by and watch
the bullying 87% of the time.
Are you the one who
 always puts someone down,
 dismissing their ideas
and opinions?
Do you refuse to let them
 join you and your friends? 
 Do you call them names
 or gesture in an
unfriendly manner? 
 Do you pull faces
or always turn your back? 
Do you chase after someone,
 threatening them or
hitting them? 
Do you laugh
or spread rumours? 
 Do you stand by
 and watch this happen
 to someone else? 


Check this webpage. 
It explains what bullying
 is the different types of bullying. 
 There are three main pages...
One for parents,
 one for teachers
 and one for kids. 
The kid’s one is split
into two age groups –
mainly primary school aged kids
and high school aged kids.
And, for a song...
Kate Miller Heidke’s
(I’ve seen this song
bring many a teacher to tears...
while the kids “kinda get it”.) 
The Cow is proud to say that a clear memory I have is of the day I told some “holiday friends” to leave another kid (with a disability of some kind – and here, my memory fails me... mental, I think) alone.  He had become an easy target.... While the people didn’t listen to me, the local lifeguard heard me and joined me.  He was so “cool” that when he asked them to stop the teasing, they did.  Don’t get me wrong – I’m not perfect!  I am sure there are many times where I could have done more to help someone!  
Pictures from here and here.

No comments: