Wednesday, February 1, 2012

All That Slithers

Made me think... what is a serpent, anyway?
I looked it up and found this: Serpent means “something that creeps” in Latin.  Typically, serpents symbolise guardians and vindictiveness (protectors and evil, interesting).  They come in all sizes, from huge dragons to sea serpents.
I also found this:
ser·pent/ˈsərpənt/
It’s a noun – A large snake or the Biblical name for Satan. I decided to go with the Snake Meaning – luckily, the snake is the most commonly recognised serpent. 

While I am respectfully wary of snakes slithering across a backyard, I am pretty impressed with the snakes being handled by trained professionals.  The fact that their tiny teeth can pierce my skin and inject enough venom to kill me... or they can slowly wrap themselves around my body and squeeze the life out of my, is something to be respectful of.

 

I remember being told that snakes were slimy...

So not true! 

Snakes really are beautiful animals... the way their scales cover their bodies, the colours, the amazing way they move.  Look at these photos (which I took from here) and see just how beautiful snakes are.


Happy Serpent Day!
(I hope you don't find any snakes
lying curled up,
at the bottom of your bed tonight!)

No comments: