Monday, December 3, 2012

There's a House With a Roof


Roof Over Your Head Day

Today is a day for appreciating
what you have, r
ather than looking around you
 and wishing for more.
I think living in rural Thailand
as a teenager has helped me
to know how lucky I am.
I’ve seen people living in boxes…
 in homes built from cardboard,
scrap metal and pieces of board.
 I’ve talked and played with kids,
living in slums,
and been surprised by their smiles.
I’ve seen people
huddled against vents,
 in the snow,
trying to stay warm
on wet pavements.

Now, years and years later,
I hear the wind whistling
around my house,
beating at the windows
and fighting against the
branches of the trees…
and I think I’m lucky.
When the rain is beating down
and I’m rugged up inside,
warm and dry,
I often imagine how awful
it would be to be sleeping outside.
(Writing this, I realise
I should probably do more
 to try to help…)
on any given night in Australia,
 105,000 people
are sleeping outside,
fighting the elements.
 Nearly half of this number
is made up of people
under the age of 25.
Most of these people
fall in the category of
secondary homelessness,
which means they move
from shelter to shelter to shelter
 to boarding home to shelter…

Imagine having to carry
everything you own…
never knowing whether you’d be
 warm enough at night or
whether you’d be in a bed…
imagine finding a shower
you could use,
in order to clean yourself…
and then, there’s food.
Without money,
where does it come from?
 How do you cook it
without a home?

Today is Roof Over Your Head Day.
It’s the day to be
ever so grateful to be
lucky enough
to have the things you need.

(It might even be a good day
 to clean out the cupboards
and donate
your unwanted stuff
to charities…
or, you could donate money
to one of the many charities
 which help get people
 back on their feet.)

No comments: