Friday, December 21, 2012

Carols


Go Caroling Day

I don’t know how
I would react if a group
of people suddenly stood
at my front door,
singing carols.
I think I would be pretty surprised…
I can’t imagine it happening.
I wonder how people would react
 if I suddenly appeared
at their doors?
Today is Go Carolling Day,
but… here in Australia,
if we want to go carolling,
we go to the park
and sing along
at the annual carols night.
We sit around a picnic
and talk as people sing to us.
(Carols in the Domain
in Melbourne
started in 1938!)
We don’t walk around
and sing to each other.
I never really thought
about this before…
My voice isn’t cheerful enough
for me to go singing carols
to my neighbours, so…
unfortunately,
I will give this day a miss.
Perhaps I could sing along
to a Christmas CD?
 
I did learn that carols
were very popular 
from the 1130s to the 1150s.
After this time,
Prodestants took over
and carols were regarded as
non-essential parts
of the Catholic religion
and were "ditched"!
Luckily, they still fill
our ears as we rush
to the shops to finish
our last minute
Christmas shopping!
Happy Caroling!

 

No comments: