Wednesday, December 12, 2012

12/12/12


Today is 12/12/12!
For that reason alone,
I knew I had to blog today!
When I saw
it was Poinsettia Day,
I figured there must be
some strange reason
(other than Christmas)
 for this flower to get a day.
Sure, it’s a lovely plant…
and, Very Christmasy!
But, is there anything else?
So, off to google I went.
My search instantly landed me
 on the Poinsettia Day webpage.
(I know I’m on to something
special if it has its own webpage!)
I learned that today
 is the anniversary
of the death of botanist,
Joel Roberts Poinsett. 
He was also a physician
and a minister to Mexico.
Working in Mexico,
he saw the poinsettia plant
 and loved it enough,
he took clippings
and sent them to his home
 in Southern California.
It was 1828. 
Paul Ecke discovered a way
 to cause the seedlings
to branch.
(I’m not absolutely sure
what this means,
but it’s significant… because…)
 in 2002, the
House of Representatives
 created Poinsettia Day,
to honour Paul Ecke.
(That gives the day
a bit more serious-ness!) 
Paul Ecke the third
still runs their
poinsettia farm today!
Have a guess how much money
 poinsettias make for the
American economy each year…
Go on, have a guess.
How much did you say?

Want me to let you know?
(I will anyway!)
Each year, poinsettias contribute
 $250,000,000
to the economy!
That’s a lot of flowers!
 
Hearing that, it probably
 comes as no surprise
that these are the most popular
potted plant sold
in the US and Canada.
In Mexico, the poinsettia
has been used as a
Christmas plant
since the 1600s!     

No comments: