Monday, December 17, 2012

Sweet Enough?

Maple Syrup Day
I almost let this day slide
into a sticky puddle…
But, I fought my laziness
and came up with some
 
 
 Maple syrup comes from trees…
the trees can live
for at least 30 years!
One tree can have four
maple syrup taps
inserted into it!
These taps do not
hurt the tree.
About 10% of the sap
 is taken each year.
If the days are warm
and the nights are frosty,
the tree will deliver more sap.
The sap flow
is at its fastest for 10–20 days,
 but the maple season
can last for about 5 weeks.
 The sap is pretty healthy –
its sugar content
is only about 67%.


I have some maple syrup –
the real stuff…
and, I must admit…
I quite like liberal drizzlings
 on my waffles and pancakes!
Today is the day
to enjoy maple syrup!

Pictures from here, here and here.

No comments: