Friday, December 14, 2012

Check the Nose!


Monkey Day

As soon as I read monkey,
I thought of the very cool
proboscis monkey.
It’s one of the uglier monkeys,
 in my opinion,
but still could be
one of my favourites. 
 I went to National Geographic
for some information.
 

It grows to 70cm and
 males weigh about 23 kilograms.
  A cool fact – t
hey live in groups called harems!
A sad fact –
they are endangered
and only live
on the island of Borneo.
Weird fact –
they eat their fruit
 before it is ripe!
The sugars in ripe fruit
ferment in their stomach
and the bloating
will eventually kill them! 
What makes the proboscis monkey
 so ugly to me…
makes it super attractive
to the lady proboscis monkeys!
 
The males have the most
enormous nose ever!
It’s huge!
The lady monkeys love the nose!
The bigger – the better!
The harem has a dominant male
 and up to seven females.
While the proboscis monkey
is a great swimmer,
they need to work
on their diving!
They swing through the trees
and belly-flop
themselves into rivers.
To swim faster than
the local crocodiles,
they developed webbing
between their hands and feet!
Weird!  …and yet…
so cool!
 


 

No comments: