Saturday, November 3, 2012

Sandwich Day


I’m having trouble
with Sandwich Day.
I’m not opposed to sandwiches…
I quite like them!
I am a little fussy, though.
 The bread must be fresh.
Very fresh.
And therein lies the problem.
 A loaf of bread is very big.
The bread is only fresh enough
(for my picky taste)
 the day it is bought.
(By the afternoon,
it'sfreshness becomes a little "iffy"!)
After that, no good.
So, I would have to buy
a loaf of bread every day,
eat a few pieces
and throw the rest away.
This would not be good practice…
 and so, I don’t eat sandwiches.
Today, though…
 I will make an exception.
I will eat a sandwich today!

There’s a webpage.
(I know! I’m surprised, too!)

So… history…
Today is the anniversary
of the Fourth (4th!)
Earl of Sandwich’s birthday.
He was also known as John Montagu
 and had a serious gambling addiction.
It was so bad,
he could not leave the table
to eat and had his servants
 bring him his dinner
between two pieces of bread…
 Which is supposedly how
the sandwich came about.
 

No comments: