Saturday, October 15, 2011

Wash your Hands!


You reach out
and push down
on the pump
of the hand sanitiser... 
you squirt the sanitiser
onto your palm
and rub your palms
and fingers clean. 
And then, you touch something 
and start
the whole
process over 
again and again
until your hands are rough and dry
and you are bordering
on developing an
obsessive compulsive problem.
That was life
while my nephew was in hospital... 
 
So, when I noticed that it was
(15th October)
I knew I had to blog about it!
This day was originally created
for schools and kids 
in order to develop the
habitat of correctly washing hands...
... with soap.
This is a big day!
It’s celebrated in over 100 countries
By over 200 million people.
(That’s a lot of clean hands!)
The biggest argument they have
for washing hands with soap
is to fight diarrheal
and respiratory infections.
 (I’m on board after
hearing the diarrhoea word!)
Living in Australia,
we have it pretty easy.
But these infections kill
millions of children
in developing countries.
Annually!
Sadly, washing hands with soap
could have saved the children.
Hand washing in these countries
rarely happens.
If everyone washed their hands
before they ate
and after they went to the toilet,
we could prevent more deaths
than any vaccine.
It seems so easy!
 
Global Handwashing Day
focuses on the kids of the world
because they are the biggest victims
of illness and because, being young,
they are most easily taught new tricks. 
If children,
especially in developing countries,
can be taught to wash their hands
– with soap
 – regularly and carefully,
they could change the handwashing
behaviours of whole communities.
We could win the battle
against the germs!
 
So, could I put this into practice at school?
Could I let 29
ten and eleven year olds
 play around at the sink...
squirting soap and playing with water...
 washing their hands before they eat?
I see sooo many potential problems! 
sigh....
I’ll give it a go...
 
 

1 comment:

snofridandbeyond said...

I have scars from the hand washing! But did get sick once I stopped.... Good luck with the kids!,