Thursday, October 13, 2011

I see...

286 million people
are visually impaired -
39 million people are blind
246 million have moderate
or severe visual impairment
But
80% of blindness is avoidable!
It’s no surprise that
90% of people with
visual impairments
live in developing countries.
Sadly, 19 million children
are visually impaired.


When I first saw the
World Sight Day logo
 I thought it was just a bunch of dots. 
That’s a sighted person for you!
Can’t see the language
 for the dots! 
Those dots are based
on the Braille symbols for
WSD – World Sight Day.
 
I’ve often asked my students
 to explain the colour
yellow
for me – as though
 I have never seen it
 and am blind. 
How would you describe
 “yellow”
to someone who has
never seen the world?

It’s harder than you’d think!
While you’re puzzling over that,
Pour yourself a glass of wine –
With your eyes closed.
 
The world is filled with beauty
And, being able to see...
It’s my job
To appreciate it.
 
Thanks to Vision 2020.
 


No comments: