Sunday, March 27, 2011

Neighbours

Neighbour Day

I can see you shaking your head…

Neighbour Day? Why?

I know that, with the rain falling and my feet cold, I’m much happier curled up on my bed than wandering around the neighbourhood.

Neighbours: Across the road are three people – who I rarely see, but who seem nice. They’ve helped me out a couple of times.

Next to them is the local oldie – who knows everyone and everything. I know he means well, even when I feel guilty about the condition of my lawn!.

One on side, I have a young family. We don’t have much to do with each other. I think things fell apart a little after my birdbath was broken and then placed back together, perhaps so I wouldn’t notice?...

On my other side is another family. I often hear raised voices, but they seem happy enough.

Behind my back fence, down the corner is another young family. I know very little about them, but I do hear her yell every now and again.

I’m not too inspired to be actively celebrating Neighbour Day – especially in the rain…

But… there’s another lot of neighbours - the back fence ones. We even put in a gate – so we don’t have to jump the fence anymore.

We recently had a toast to living next to each other for three years. I’m happy that we share a fence.

It’s interesting that after living in a house for three years, you get to know the noises of the neighbours. I recognise sneezes now. I know the sounds of different cars. I know when people leave for work and when they might get home. I guess I know my neighbours more than I realised.

So, why celebrate Neighbour Day?

It all started back in 2003, in Melbourne.

Andrew Heslop started it.

A lady was found in her house,

wrapped in her blanket, lying on her sofa.

She had been dead for two years!

Her bills were being paid…

No family or friends had raised an alarm.

Her neighbours didn’t really notice not seeing her.

The growing pile of mail didn’t raise alarms.

Sadly, this was only one such incident.

After several stories like this, people accepted the idea to Check on your Neighbour.

Now, people have barbeques and street parties.

Some councils plan fun days.

What started with a sad story

and a letter to the editor

is now gaining momentum across the world.

It might soon become an International Day.

http://www.neighbourday.org/how-it-all-began

No comments: