Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Happy NICU Day

Today is a special day..

Thank You NICU Day
6 Months ago,
I had no idea what a NICU was...
And, to be honest... 
I didn’t care.

Today, I know
(Neonatal Intensive Care Unit)
and while I never want
to go back to a NICU,
I definitely want to say
“Thank You!”.


 
6 months ago,
my baby nephew came into the world...
a couple of months too early!
He went to the NICU
at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
and the nurses and doctors there
looked after him
in a way we never could.

 He was too small
and we were too afraid.
He was in a tiny plastic cage
with skin that looked plastic
and purple.
His tiny sunken chest
moved with each breath...
and so many of those
were being pushed through his body
by machines.
At such an incredibly straining
and emotional time 
the patience and every-day-normal-ness
of the NICU staff
helped to make the journey
little less difficult...
especially when the night nurses
left crazy photographic evidence
of their night adventures with my nephew,

where they dressed him up
and took him on adventures. 
(They messed up
his sleeping routines a little,
but brought great smiles to me.)


is held each November.
It’s a day for us to thank
and acknowledge
all Australian NICU staff.
“Thank You!”

No comments: