Tuesday, November 15, 2011

That Stinks!



They’re back.
The stink bugs!
I dread it...
I look into the orange tree
and catch my first glance...
an orange back...
My first stink bug. 
And then I see it...
another one and another one
and another one and ...
thousands of them,
stinking up the place with their vile stench.
If they were friendly
to the tree I’d be happy to put up
with the stink –
but they’re not friendly!
Their sucking and piercing mouth bits
suck the juices from my tiny oranges.
I hear that they can bite, too. 
It will leave an itchy mark on an adult,
possibly harm a child
and make an animal sick.
I also hear that
in some African countries,
stink bugs make it to the dinner table! 
I wish the people could come here
and collect platefuls of dinner
from my tree!
(I’m not overly keen
on trying them myself...
any takers?)
I am a little worried to find
that they also enjoy pears,
apples, plums and grapes...
they may have to be eaten
if they get too carried away
in my garden!
No organic sprays seem to work
and people have tried insecticides –
only to have them all back again
the next year... so,
people have turned to
different methods...
The best –
people grab their vacuum cleaner
and head off to their
stink bug infested trees... 
They suck up all of the bugs
and then toss them into boiling water
or a pot of metho! 
Hehe.
Others shake the bugs from the trees
with a big stick...
Me – I still like cutting them
into pieces with a pair of scissors. 
Today was my first cutting session –
snip snip snip snip.
I’ll get some more tomorrow...
unless someone would like to eat them.
 

2 comments:

snofridandbeyond said...

I hope you have special stink bug scissors!

The Hairy Cow said...

Sure do! They are hanging from the tree - easily reachable, for whenever I just happen to walk by! SNIP!