Monday, March 8, 2010

A Whole new Alphabet

After my first month as an exchange student, I was unbelievably excited to be conversing in English. I was at an English Camp with a group of other exchange students.

It’s almost impossible to imagine not knowing the local language of a country. At 16, I was unable to watch TV and understand it. Radio and newspapers were beyond me. I couldn’t read a comic book. I couldn’t even speak! My two year old cousin was more advanced than me. He used words far beyond my vocabulary. I could barely stumble through "Hello. How are you?"

Time passes so slowly when you cannot interact with anyone.

Over time, as boredom settled over me, as Thai life became routine and mundane, I taught myself to read and write Thai.

Giggles followed me as I studied my Thai alphabet. Kindergarten students were learning what I was.

Giggles became smiles as I started recognising letters of the Thai alphabet.

Smiles became grins as I started reading words.

Smiles widen with pride as my Thai family listened while I read sentences from the newspaper. Menus were now given to me to read and I was asked what I would like to order. Cartoon books filled in endless afternoons as I studied theThai language.

I was on my way! I was reading Thai!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Learn another language and you gain another soul".