Monday, March 15, 2010

Thai Dance

Graceful...

Elegant...

Poised...

Me performing Thai Dance –

Slimy with sweat...

elephant-like movements...

Uncoordinated...

After four months in Thailand, the school was preparing for a dancing parade. Over 120 Year 11 students would dance through the streets of my little Thai town. Each day at school, the student would line up and rehearse their dance. Being an uncoordinated foreigner, with no connections to the Year 11 students, I was hardly surprised when they made me dance, too... Right at the start of the parade!

There I was, sweat pouring from my make-up packed face, hair frizzed, knotted and teased beyond all recognition - dancing. We danced our way down all the streets. A microphone wilding man enjoyed screaming out to the audience that a foreigner was leading their parade. With every eye on me, I pretended to know the dances well. Whenever I was in doubt about the steps – I smiled and they clapped. I have long since forgotten the dance, but vaguely remember something about pulling mud crabs from a woven net. Half way through one of the dances, a local village lady rushed towards me. She had betel nut stained teeth and a crooked smile. Mid dance, she thrust a baby into my arms. Feeling a little bewildered, I smiled and posed for her photographs. Handing back the baby, I was handed a tissue – to wipe the rivers of sweat from my face. This done, I went back to dancing.

No comments: