Friday, March 19, 2010

Loong Sird

Loong Sird was awesome. This man was my uncle while I was in Thailand. He reminded me of Dad and enjoyed stirring me. Each afternoon, I'd return home and know whether I had mail by watching his face. A cheeky grin meant that there was mail, but, I'd have to search the shop to find where he'd hidden it!
Vendors would regularly stumble past the shop, laden down with their loaded baskets. The baskets hung from a pole, which they balanced on their shoulders. These basket contained unpredictable and widely varied foods. Whenever Loong Sird saw one of these vendors approaching, he'd grin at me. I'd know I'd have to sample one of the delicacies. Silkworms, crickets, all manner of bugs... He'd make me eat one.
Before trying a new fruit or more commonly eaten food, Loong Sird would often try to trick me. He'd convincingly tell me that a fruit was so sweet and I'd bite into the sourest berry imaginable. That was Loong Sird. I loved him and was grateful to have such an amazing and fun uncle, whoquickly saw the real me.

No comments: