Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Abracadabra!

Magic Day
I was never really
into the magic tricks…
 pennies behind your ears
 and all. 
We don’t even
have pennies anymore!
Some are very clever –
not the
“I’m going to saw
this lady in half trick!”
but the ones where
the lady changes outfits
behind a stream
of shimmering paper…
 Now, that is impressive.
But, what of those magic words?


Abracadabra!
It seems that this word
 was in use in the 2nd century.
That’s a long time!!
I like this interpretation of it:
 I will create as I speak!
That sure sounds like
magic to me!
Open Sesame!
Seems this one was lost
 in translation and should really be:
 Open Sim Sim!
(Not the same ring to it)
It comes from that whole
 Ali Baba story,
with jealous brothers
and lost fortune,
stolen fortune,
found treasure
and words which open the cave.
 The jealous brother
found the cave,
forgot the Open Sim Sim words
 and was killed…
Oh!     
Nevermind…
  kids from all generations
will still be impressed
when their dad opens
the garage with a secret remote
 and says: Open Sesame –
 and the door opens
“all by itself!”
Shazam!
This is a new one
– a comic book one,
introduced in 1940.
I wonder how much power
there can be with this one?
Shazam was a 3000
year old wizard.
Under his teaching
came Captain Marvel.
(I bet those Big Bang Boys
know him… I wonder what
 Sheldon thinks
about Captain Marvel?)
From that –
I think Abracadabra holds
the most magical power
and I will use that one
 from here on in…
(Wish there was some magic
that would whisk away
childhood illness!
– Abracadabra!)






No comments: