Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Bumpy Nights

.
Flickering lights...
Dripping taps...
Cold patches...
Ghosts. 
The last few nights, I’ve been super-sensitive to the things that go bump in the night!  Each time the fan flicks the sheet... each time my hair brushes my face.  I’m sensing things that aren’t there... or ... are they?  I went to Google in search of answers.  The first thing I learned, was that my sudden on-rush of nerves as the minutes approach midnight are... unnecessary!  Midnight’s not the ghost time!  It’s really 3am!  (Knowing that, I still find myself rushing to get myself into bed before ten to midnight – Just in case!)
So, this 3am thing seems to be related to Christianity... 
I wonder when the ghosts from other religions start to visit?
Apparently, Jesus Christ died at 3pm.  3am is the direct opposite time – and demons and evil spirits are the opposite to Jesus...So, the scariest time of the night is 3am.
It seems that everyone agrees that ghosts are the spirits of people who’ve died and that if there was violence when they died, the ghosts will be more likely to stick around to haunt the place.
Something I didn’t know – there are two kinds of ghosts: residual and walking.  The walking ghosts roam around, while the residual ones are the kind to stick to one place. Residual ghosts relive an event again and again and seem unable to react with a living human.
I guess that makes the walking kind scarier!
Strangely enough, if you have a ghost hanging around, scaring you.... You can tell it to leave you alone!  If you want it to leave the building forever, you have to say that.
Before it seems that I have taken on a mocking tone, I should admit to saying these words...
out loud...
with conviction!
(repeatedly!)
I lived in a house where I didn’t feel welcome.  There were a few indicators of this.  Apart from the constantly dripping tap, there were no other stereotypical signs of a ghostly presence.... But, I knew something was there.
I knew it when my feet were touched and when I was pushed and when I saw flashes of white.
So, photographical evidence?  I’m sceptical of photos plastered online – unless they’ve been examined and scrutinised for fraud and tampering!
I’m more tempted to believe photos taken many, many years ago, when tampering was a little more difficult.  I found some cool pictures!
The Brown Lady rates as one of the best ghost pictures ever.

The ghost is believed to be Lady Dorothy Townshend, wife of Charles Townshend, 2nd Viscount of Raynham.  They lived in Norfolk, England in the 1700s.  It’s reported that Charles suspected her of infidelity.  Legally, she died and was buried in 1726, but it is rumoured that the funeral was a sham and he had her locked up in a room for several more years!  Obviously, she was not impressed!  Her ghost was seen in the early 1800s by King George IV and again in 1835 by a Colonel.  Three more people saw her a few years later.  The famous photo was taken in September 1936 by Captain Provand and Indre Shira.
It’s hard to dismiss that photo...
(And King George IV saw it!)
The next picture was taken on the 16th of November 1968.  The solid looking man was giving a speech and the shadowy looking guy is supposedly his brother, who died in 1944.  (Apparently, the critics accept it as an unaltered photo) 

The photo I most enjoyed was the one of the WWI soldiers.  The soldiers posed for a photo – not realising that there was another person posing, too.  I zoomed in on the photograph and the “extra” person was clearly there!  He’s in the top row, behind the man fourth from the left.  The extra man is apparently Freddy Jackson, who’s funeral had taken place earlier the same day this photo was taken.

Strangely enough, I’ve discovered that telling people to be gentle when they visit me works!  I’m expecting another visitor soon... I invited him.  What I’m starting to worry about, is that I didn’t tell him to be gentle.  He enjoyed playing pranks – so... I’m almost expecting him to pull the sheets from my bed!  I know the fear is irrational... but so are the pre-midnight jitters and I can’t stop them!
So... all ghosts out there... Could you please pass on my request for gentle pats and no funny business!


5 comments:

The Hairy Cow said...

You were right! It is 3am!

snofrid said...

Now what do I do when I need to get up at 3am!!!

The Hairy Cow said...

I knew that would scare you!! Tell them to leave the house and never come back! Lots of lights helps - and I am now sleeping with a blanket - making the sheet harder to pull off me! Crazy!

Telela said...

Told you... 3am! Don't look in any mirrors, turn the lights on, make lots of noise and close your mind when you have to get up to the kids at that time.

wenlen said...

If we see your expected visitor again I will tell him you said to be gentle.

Len said you are mad Carol.