Friday, September 9, 2011

Drink Up!

My recycle bin has been
more rattly lately...
Glass bottles have clunked
against each other
as I dragged the bin
to the roadside.
Why?
Wine.
So I thought I’d find a few
reasons I should drink wine.
I was stunned to find several pages
boasting various reasons
explaining why wine is good for us.
Being lazy...
I went to the first site thrown up by google...
Here’s what they have to say – in my own words:
Reason One – Memory Retention
Apparently, a study left no doubt that a daily glass of wine can help with your memory!  It seems that wine contains properties which help reduce blood clots and avoid blood vessels from becoming inflamed.
Need I go further?
Why not...
Reason Two – Boost Your Immune System
There’s something called a helicobacter pylori bacteria...  I’m happy to call it a nasty helicopter.  Luckily, wine has something which can fight these bad helicopters!  If you drink wine, you might save yourself from gastritis, stomach cancers and ulcers.
And... as little as a half a glass can help stop minor food poisoning!  Woohoo!
Reason Three – Weight Watching
Ok, I’ve been blaming my weight gain on the extra wines... let’s hope for good news here.
Right... beer = packed with calories.
Wine = lower calorie content. 
Apparently, the alcohol in wine actually burns calories! (Only if you drink a glass or two a day... more than that, forget about it!)
Reason Four = Healthy Bones
(Even better, this applies to women more than men!)
Alcohol increases oestrogen levels – which slows down the degradation of old bones, so... moderate wine drinking increases bone density in women.
Reason Five – Fight Cancer
The old anti-oxidants!
These little guys have the potential to prevent cancer and other problems related to aging.
Reason Six – Prevent Diabetes
Huh!  Wine seems to help control blood sugar issues.  Lucky again!  Women who drink one or two glasses a day have significantly lower risks or experiencing type 2 diabetes.
Reason Seven – Happiness!
There’s lots of talk about “moderation”...
But it’s usually one OR two glasses
Which provide the most benefit!
I’m only on my first glass....

3 comments:

snofridandbeyond said...

Beam me up!!!

The Hairy Cow said...

Scottie!!

snofridandbeyond said...

Beam me up!!!