Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Thought Wrong!

Here I was, feeling confident and brave! Thought I had started to get control of my nerves... thought that public speaking was becoming simple... easy... relaxing... Wrong! I stood before a very friendly crowd of people tonight. I spoke about something I knew very well. I knew exactly what it was I had to say. I knew my speech was relevant and interesting. I knew I had the support of the crowd. And yet.... the nerves! I cannot believe how badly the nerves hit me! I had shaky arms and legs and could hardly breathe from the pressure I was putting myself under! I was stunned at my sudden relapse into panic mode! After the adrenalin had left my body and I was able to sit without shaking, breathe without gasping and finally conentrate on the people around me, I was able to hear the praise and recognition for my efforts. I appreciated the kindness of the group as they claimed not to have noticed as I hyperventilated and rattled like a shaky leaf for the 6 minutes of my latest speech. My first Competition Speech. (By the way - I came second).

No comments: