Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Close Shave

I was sitting in a staff meeting…
paying attention
and showing enthusiasm…
when something
grabbed my attention.
 One of the ladies at work
was going to shave her hair. 
Off. 
She’s been living with leukaemia
 for ten years and needed to
do something big
to mark the anniversary.
  I let the idea float around
 my head a while
and then headed home.
I couldn’t think of a single reason
 not to join her. 
Not one. 
My sisters couldn’t give me
a reason not to, either…
It seemed I had no choice. 
 With my baby nephew
fighting liver cancer
and boasting a cleanly shaven head….
I had plenty of reasons
 TO shave my hair. 
 So, the next morning,
I surrended my hair. 
 A few days later,
my hair was plaited
and three little sets
of fingers each cut off
a section of my hair. 


Dad snipped some off…
and I was left
with chunky hair
at the back of my head. 
 The next day,
my hair was full of plaits…
Kids from my class revelled
in the chance to cut
 their teacher’s hair…
and I was left
with scrappy, messy hair.
  Not for long. 
Clippers soon fixed that. 
 In a blur of crazy moments,
my hair was puddled
on the floor and I was wearing
a short number two style. 


It was amazing! I
 felt younger.
I felt fresh.
I felt clean.
And, I felt good
for supporting a friend
and for supporting Dexter. 
It was amazing to feel
the wind lift the tiny tufts
 of hair on the back
of my head. 
 It was incredible to feel
the water drip through
my shaven hair in the shower…
 Oh, and two flicks of a towel
and my hair was ready to go!


Now, almost a week later
and I can feel how much
my hair has grown.
I love it…
though I have to admit
to the greys
I just cannot cover!

No comments: