Monday, April 11, 2011

You, Me, Us

There's an art competition
and we decided to give the kids a chance -
and enter them.
The competition is called "You, Me and Us".
We decided to let the kids draw themselves...
The idea was to celebrate
Indigenous and Non Indigenous Australians
living together...
"You, Me and Us". One of my students is a blue eyed blondie
and his best mate
is a gorgeous brown eyed, dark skinned boy.
Watching them with arms around each other
was the inspiration for the drawings.
They really do represent
You, Me and Us.
Some of the kids spent a lot of time on their art
and others...
rushed to be finished in time!
They kids have all really enjoyed the art...
They have found new strengths. The girl who did the next artwork
handed it to me for judgement...
and I gave her a huge list of things
she needed to do I didn't even praise her...
I can't believe it.
So cruel!
When she came back to me
the huge smile on her face warmed me.
She'd heard me.
She'd adjusted her art...
and while her drawing may not be a masterpiece
she was so proud of herself!
I'm proud of her, for that.
Look at the hairline on this one... We're sending the art off to be judged in a couple of weeks.
Note: I didn't touch their art
not even the cutting out
(Though my cutting is as bad as their's!)

No comments: