Sunday, January 2, 2011

Welcoming 2011

2011 - Happy New Year

I feel almost like I am writing my first blog - ever!

I'm a little scared... a little tentative.

What should I write? I thought about writing about New Year celebrations around the year, but was staggered at the number of places celebrating their New Year in January. By the time I'd covered the twelve months it would be 2012! So, New Year's Resolutions... I've never been a resolution person. Eat less (will have to avoid Aldi's melting moments!) Exercise more (so boring and predictable!) Something radical then... my mind leaps to countless adventures I could take - but then I'm reined back in by the responsibilities of mortgages, bills and general life faced by people in their 30's.

How about... spend more time with the people who are important to me... compliment people, whenever I see the opportunity... and... smile - often, readily, with my eyes...

Here's my adaptation of someone else's resolutions (Maybe, I should resolve to write my own poetry!)

My New Year's Resolutions I will not throw the cat out the window Or put a frog in my sister's bed I will not tie my brother-in-laws's shoelaces together Nor fall from the roof of my shed I shall remember my mum’s next birthday And tidy my house once a week I'll not moan at the mailman (Ugh! It’s bills again!) Nor give my neighbour more of my cheek. I will not pick my nose if I can help it I shall fold up my clothes, brush my hair, I will say please and thank you (even when I don't mean it) And never spit or shout or even swear. I shall write each day in my diary Try my hardest to be helpful at work I shall help old ladies cross roads (even if they don't want to) And when others are rude I'll stay cool. I'll go to bed with the owls and be up with the larks And close every door behind me I shall squeeze from the bottom of every toothpaste tube And stay where trouble can't find me. I shall start again, turn over a new leaf, leave my bad old ways forever shall I start them this year, or next year shall I sometime, or .....?

Adapted from a poem written by Robert Fisher

http://www.newyearfestival.com/new-year-poems

No comments: