Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Australians All Let Us Rejoice

Standing in an Irish pub in Bangkok, a rugby game in full swing... I joined in with the screaming Aussie fans. After the game was won, we held our hands over our hearts, gazed up at the Aussie flag (hanging on the roof) and sang the National Anthem. We fell out into the steamy heat of a Bangkok street, belting out the words to Waltzing Matilda.

In an English pub overlooking Bangkok’s seedier district, we grouped around a piano and sang “I Still Call Australia Home”.

It’s amazing to be an Australian overseas.

I’ve never felt as patriotic as when I was “away”.

Our Aussie crowd in Bangkok would laze across lounge chairs, watching The Castle, eating Twisties and Tim Tams, laughing at “I dug another hole, Dad” and “Straight to the pool room”.

But... here in Australia, I don’t feel it so much.

Australia Day is mere hours away and I don’t feel it. Don’t get me wrong! I’m a proud Aussie. I love this country. I’ve been to a few places around the world and I know I’ve got it lucky, living in my beautiful town, surrounded by clean air and clean beaches. I know I’ve got it lucky – not having to fight to have my opinion heard, having equal rights and freedom to live.

I just don’t feel like singing it to the rafters – not like when I was overseas.

But, Australia Day can’t go unnoticed, so...

Some inventions.... things Aussies have come up with to make life even easier!

Gotta love the hills hoist! Remember swinging on it as a kid... Only, you had to be careful not to do it when the parents were watching! My brother-in-law just pulled his old, rusting hills hoist clothes line out. Before it was removed, there were several last swings around the yard. My dad even had a go! Love the hills hoist clothes line!

The ute... come on, can it get more Aussie?

How about the electric drill?? Renovations around the home would have been much harder without that!

Latex gloves.... well... the smell of those as the dentist feels around in your mouth... perhaps I didn’t need those!

What about the notepad! What would uni have been like without that? (Ok, I’m showing my age... I’m sure laptops are used now!)

The two stroke mower! Nothing is more Aussie than the sound of the mower starting up on a Saturday afternoon!

Oh! Aeroguard! The smell! Camping... great memories!

And the garage roller door...

What about Xerox photocopying! Imagine a workplace without the photocopier! Especially mine! And instant boiling water!

Aussies even came up with the first refrigeration unit! Go the Aussies!

Imagine a world without vegemite! My sister has never liked the stuff. (I’d call her unpatriotic – but she’ll read this, so, I won’t!)

Wine casks... come on.... You know you’ve drunk from them!

And the speedo swimmers.... we may cringe when we see them at the beach, but they’re our fault!

Then, there’s some incredibly amazing ones...

Spray-on-skin for burns victims. Respect and awe for that one.

Electronic pacemakers – they gave my Nan a little longer with us.

Aussies really are creative and wonderful people.

So, I guess I best push myself into a barbie tomorrow, throw some snags on the hotplate until they’re burnt and wear an Aussie flag tattoo on my arm for the day. Happy Australia Day.

http://www.whitehat.com.au/australia/Inventions/InventionsA.html

No comments: