Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Well, look at that...

Last night, I went to another Toastmasters Dinner. I have been a Toastmaster for over a year now. It was the Changeover Dinner, where members take up their club positions for the new year. (I'm sure I'll blog more on the role I've been elected to.)
I was a little surprised to hear that I am second in charge and will be running the club if the President is away... Being that she was reluctant take on the position, I am a little worried.
Last night, I ran the dinner meeting. For the most of it, I did well. There were only a few slight hiccups - which the others probably didn't even notice. I was surprised at one point, however, when they elected me as the Toastmaster of the Year. I didn't even know that there was such an award. I felt honoured that they would recognise my efforts and achievements in such a public way. Here's my trophy...

... well... a section of it anyway. I have to be honest and say that I have made a lot of progress in the area of Public Speaking and owe all of my new skills and cofidence to the club and its members.

At work, I am currently preparing some students for a public speaking competition. This is my first time to organise the students for this competition and felt relatively confident in their readiness for next week's competition. Another, more experienced teacher has expressed real confidence in some of the students and has marvelled at the way I have prepared them.... It's all down to Toastmasters. (I'll let you know how the students do.)

1 comment:

wenlenl said...

Toastmater of the year. Well done, you must be very proud. I know I am.