Thursday, September 10, 2009

Tinglish

Somewhere in Thailand, a whole collection of young men are confident in their ability to use English. They were taught by us. Lessons were filled with spoken language and a confident child would happily share his English skills. The following was very typical of what our students would say.

I live in a how. I have is a mutter – one, farter – one, bruttar – two and sittar – no.

I live in is class tree-sewen. (I'm in Class 3-7)

I am wearing is a white shirt, brown belt, blue short, white sock and shoes black.

I like animal is a cock. I like food is a hen and pig.

My birthday is in yoghurt.

I go to Silom Complec by motorsigh. (I go to the Silom Complex by motorcycle.)

May I have is a sharpen my pencil, please?

May I have a toilet, please?

How are you? I am nine year old.

Stop your mouth.

(I wonder how much better they are now?)

No comments: