Tuesday, September 22, 2009

afternoon storms

As the steamy hot temperatures of the day sapped my energy faster than I could replace it, I was exhausted but happy when I pulled into my driveway. The clouds hung low in the sky and the faint scent of dusty rain lingered, teasingly in the air. A sudden flash as lightning ripped its way across the grey clouds. Thunder – tentative at first and then rumbling louder and louder through the sky. A faint wind picks its way through the leaves of my jacaranda tree. The tin roof ticks as it adjusts to the changing temperatures.

And then it comes... the rain. A splatter and a drip across the roof. A sprinkle on the steamy ground. And finally... the steady sound of rain. The heat of the day is gently washed away as the rain tumbles down and freshens everything it touches. The wind picks up and the cool air delicately washes over my skin. Over my neighbours house I see a splendid rainbow, wrapping itself across the sky.

I lean back on my chair, savouring the cool glass of wine and revelling in the afternoon storm.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

a wonderful picture! you've framed it just right.

The Hairy Cow said...

Thanks! Don't you love Jac's place in the background!