Thursday, December 1, 2011

Wolf Week

Once,
I taught a student from Uzbekistan.
He explained to me that the wolf is an animal we have learned to hate... and for no real reason.  He made me promise to learn to like wolves...
I still remember that conversation.
So, I teach my kids about wolves... so that they will learn to love them, too!   


In a pack, only the alpha couple have cubs.  She will lie in her small den, unable to hunt while she cares for her cubs.  The other females will bring food for her, leaving it at the den's entrance.


Once she starts hunting, she will kill an animal... swallow the meat and return to her cubs.  The cubs can smell the meat and she coughs it up for them to eat.  Disgusting, right?  And yet... we sometimes chew on food to soften it for our "young". 


These animals howl to keep track
of each other. 
Their howl lasts for at least
five seconds.


We had a few different choices
for our art this week.
The kids shocked me
by choosing a "tracer"
as the Artist of the Week.


One of these pictures is mine...