Thursday, August 4, 2011

Pished


5/8/11
So, Beer Day either started with
 a bunch of mates sitting around
coming up with reasons for drinking...
or for a real reason...
Incredibly, it wasn’t a group of mates!
In 1933, in the United States, there had been a prohibition on beer since 1920.  for 13 years, it was a dry country.  (I can hear my brother-in-laws and my father choking on their beers right now.  13 years without a beer! 
Or a wine, for that matter!)
President Roosevelt ended the dry spell.
He signed a law stating
that beer could be sold again,
as of the 7th of April, 1933.
The alcohol content could
be no more than 3.2%.
Imagine the line ups
at the breweries on the 6th of April.
Once midnight struck,
they could legally
buy and drink beer!
Cheers!

And, that...
Dear drinkers...
Is how New Beer’s Eve
came about, now followed
with a hair of the dog on the
 7th – National Beer Day.
Being that people the world over love beer,
other countries took up the
 drinking celebration and so –
International Beer Day was declared!
This day was first
celebrated in August 2008.
You don’t have to donate anything...
You don’t have to buy anything...
There are no sad stories of
misfortune or hardship...
You just have to drink!

2 comments:

Snofrid and Beyond said...

I like international beer day - wish I had of read this sooner! Cheers!!!

The Godfather of National Beer Day said...

It actually started with both......

It all started about 4 years ago when someone wished me a happy national beer day on March 1st. My first thought was, "brilliant! a day to celebrate beer!" My second thought was, "why is today National Beer Day?" It turns out that March 1st is National Beer Day in Iceland where they celebrate the end of 75 years of prohibition (and you thought 13 years was a long time).

Now I'm not one to begrudge anyone an excuse to drink beer, but I wondered why there was not American National Beer Day. During that time I had a friend over from England, Mike Connolly. He decided that we should start an American National Beer Day. I was opposed to the idea at first as I didn't want to just pick a random day with no historical significance. Mike continued to press me about the idea, so I told him I would do some research and see if there was a day that should be celebrated as National Beer Day. It turns out April 7th was that day.

We started a facebook group about that historical day and the day caught on FAST! People all over the US celebrate National Beer Day now.

There are a lot of unofficial random beer drinking holidays in the US.

New Beer's Eve - April 6th
National Beer Day - April 7th
National Homebrew Day - First Saturday in May
American Craft Beer Week - Starts on the 3rd Monday in May and goes for a week
International Beer Day - Aug. 5th
National Beer Lover's Day - Sept. 7th
National Drink a Beer Day - Sept. 28th
American Beer Day - Oct. 27th

National Beer Day (April 7th) is the only with with a historically significant date.

National Beer Days around the world -

March 1st - Iceland
April 6th - England
April 7th - USA
April 23rd - Germany

www.facebook.com/USNationalBeerDay

-Justin Smith
the Godfather of National Beer Day