Monday, August 2, 2010

Swimming with Crocodiles

Katherine Gorge is stunning.

The sheer rock walls rise from the water, high up into the air.

Boats drift down the gorge and the gentle lapping of the waves against the tin is a peaceful background to the natural beauty. A feeling of calm settles in and my worries drift away. Brilliant blue skies contrast magnificently with the reds of the rock.

It’s hot, though.

After a few hours in the boat and a walk along the gorge, the cool water is very tempting. The guides seem to believe that it’s safe to swim in the gorge. Apparently, salt water crocodiles don’t swim this far up the gorge.

(I don’t see them getting into the water, though!)

With sweat trickling down my back, I give in and wade into the water.

The cold water is shocking against my heated skin.

But.. before long, I’m feeling refreshed and clean again.

Getting back into the boat, we round the next corner of the gorge and there...

before us...

sits a crocodile.

Its bathing in the sunshine.

But... it’s a freshie... a fresh water crocodile.

Even if the crocodile had been lying on the bottom of the gorge, directly under my feet... it would probably have ignored me.

Probably...

No comments: