Monday, July 12, 2010

View from Above

For a glorious month I lived in Banff,
a town snuggled against the side of the Rockies.
I worked as a waitress, rebuilding my cash supplies
before I headed off to other places unknown.
The huge castle-looking building in the bottom of the picture is the Banff Springs Hotel. I didn't stay there.
Instead, I spent most of the month living in a tent
in somene's backyard. My life in Banff was simple...
I headed off to work the morning shift in one of the cafes.
My afternoons were spent hiking and
exploring the beautiful area.
I hiked along the river, watching the elk graze amonst the golfballs. I sat on the edge of the falls, listening to the deafening roar of the water against the rocks. I hiked the mountains, gasping for breath and gazing in wonder at the natural beauty of the area. I rode on the back of a motorbike, following the bending roads which wrapped around the Rockies. My feet moved to the highest possible position on the bike as I watched bears grazing metres from the motorbike. I ate late lunches at the edge of the lake.
I ate dinners under the midnight sunsets.
Life in Banff was easy, but as the first fakes of snow landed
on the mountains, I knew it was time to move on.

No comments: