Monday, April 12, 2010

Krob Krua

I have two families in Thailand. One is my host family. I always use the word "host" when referring to them.
The other family were different. When mentioning them, I don't use the word "host".
The other family accepted me from the start. I was just an Australian girl who was living with them for a while. I wasn't there to elevate their status within the community... I was just Calon.
They didn't notice my pale skin and light eyes. They were protective and supportive. They teased me and laughed with me. They cared.
Nineteen years after meeting them, I still feel like I am a part of their family- a long distant, rarely seen family member.
When it all fell apart with my host family, my real Thai family were there for me... they picked me back up and made me smile again.

No comments: